5.17.2015

Maybelline Clear Smooth All In One Shine Free Cake Powder [New Formula] Review


It's been like ages since I bought any Western drugstore makeup, since nothing looks that interesting to me lately. However, I somehow went into Boots and got my first product ever from Maybelline, the Clear Smooth All In One Shine Free Cake Powder. The ridiculous heat must have been the reason for this impulsive purchase. Well, when it seems impossible to keep oils on your face at bay in this harsh summer, you are automatically drawn to anything claiming good oil control. Keep reading to find out if this product stays true to its claims!  


CLEAR SMOOTH ALL IN ONE 
CAKE POWDER [NEW FORMULA]

Brand: Maybelline
Product Type: Powder with Foundation
Capacity: 9g
Shade: 02 Nude Beige
Retail Price: 199 THB
Website: www.maybelline.co.th   

Maybelline Clear Smooth All in One Shine Free Cake Powder is a long-lasting powder foundation claiming to create a bright and even complexion that lasts through a hot summer day. It is an upgraded version of the previous formula, which I haven't tried. It is formulated to suit Asian skin and is exclusively available in Asia.

The product claims: 8-Hour oil control, Last up to 12 hours, Smooth complexion, Sun protection of SPF 32 PA+++ (higher than the old formula), Lightweight, Medium coverage, Non-Comedogenic


The product comes in a baby pink plastic case with a transparent bottom. It's very simple but adorable. It is refillable so you don't need to buy a new case when you run out of the product. That'd save you some bucks, and it's always nice to recycle. 


There is nothing fancy here - just a design-less powder and a very basic sponge puff. I was in a hurry when I selected the shade, but thankfully it matches me pretty nicely. It has a yellow-undertone since it is formulated for Asian skin. Plus, although the product contains SPF 32, it doesn't leave a white cast on my face - I don't recommend wearing this for flash photography though.


The sponge puff is white in color and a little bit too small to be ergonomic. It doesn't give off a good first impression, and it has a weird rubber smell. However, it is actually pretty decent although I wish it is smoother and feels less rubbery. 


The powder goes on smoothly on skin, but it tends to accentuate dry patches so you'll need to moisturize well before applying. The good news is it doesn't dry out my skin and becomes cakey/patchy during wear, which does happen a lot with powder foundation. 


It is lightweight and provides sheer to medium coverage, which is enough for most days when you don't need to cover up so much. I don't think it is a good idea to build up the coverage as it can easily turn cakey. With a single layer, it does a decent job blurring pores and canceling redness. I still need a concealer for more serious imperfections like acne scars. It has a natural-looking matte finish that doesn't look flat or mask-like. With the power on, my face looks smooth and brightened as claimed. 

Now to the most important part - the lasting power. I mean, I decided to buy this because of the advertised oil control. So, how does it perform in this aspect? For a product that boasts an amazing 12-hour wear, I honestly expected much better oil control than what it provides. The oil control is average - it keeps my face shine-free for up to 3-4 hours. That's not too bad considering how hot and humid the weather is these days. The horrible thing about this is how it turns into a layer of grease when my face gets oily after hours of wear. It feels like I have a sticky mask of oiliness on my face, which is not a nice feeling. Blotting away the oil does help though. On a more positive side, this does last pretty well even after my face turns oily. After 6 hours and some blotting, I can see that the coverage is still there though not as perfect as it was when freshly applied. 


QUICK TAKE
  • Fine particles - smooth and even application
  • Convenient and affordable 
  • Lightweight 
  • Sheer to medium coverage
  • Can accentuate dry patches
  • Doesn't turn cakey during the day
  • Complexion becomes smoother and brighter 
  • Matte finish that doesn't look unnatural or flat 
  • Average oil control
  • Decent lasting power
  • Feels sticky and greasy after face gets oily, but blotting helps   

This is my first Maybelline product and I have to say I'm neither disappointed nor impressed - I still look forward to try some more of their products such as their beloved mascaras. If you have oily skin, this powder foundation is worth a try since it is affordable and is an overall decent product for the price. It's nice for days when you don't want to put anything on your face but still needs some coverage and sun protection.


SHOP: This is an Asia exclusive product. I purchased mine at Boots in Thailand. It is also available in other leading drugstores across Asia.




l CONNECT WITH ME l


Bloglovin' Twitter Instagram GFC

2 comments :

  1. Aw that's too bad it doesn't perform that well! I only wished that our pressed powders here were all 200 baht! (soooo cheap) I recently used the super fresh powder from them but it performed like this one you reviewed. Average to be honest and I felt that I had to apply A LOT before it felt matte which is huge down side! Do try their mascaras, the rocket, the magnum express are both really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one in Indonesia. Love the pink packaging, and it just looks like the Maybelline's White Superfresh :D I wonder how improved the formula is! Can't wait to get one myself.

    xx

    Oh Dear Bumblebees

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 by Pastel Boulevard. All rights reserved.

Template design by Carrielovesdesign