1.26.2015

S E O U L (1) : K-Cosmetics Heaven, Myeong-dong [명동]


Here is my first Korea travel post. There will be a total of 6 parts, and I have to tell you it was difficult to limit it to just 6. I took so, so many photos that it took some time to choose and edit. I was thinking what should be up first and figured why not start with Myeong-dong, the K-cosmetics heaven. After all, this is mainly a beauty blog lol. Well, let's get started!


Myeong-dong is a must-visit place for tourists. If you've been there, you'll know that it's super crowded with foreigners and tour groups. Salespeople here usually speak English and Chinese just well enough to handle tourists. If it's your first time in Korea and you're not sure where to go, just head to Myeong-dong. You can literally find everything there, not just cosmetics. There are awesome street food, cafes, fashion stores, and restaurants.


My Korean friends told me that Myeong-dong is for tourists and locals don't really go there. I guess it's just like Times Square in NYC - New Yorkers just hate the crowd and traffic around there. Koreans probably feel the same way about Myeong-dong. However, I could still see quite a number of locals when I was there.


There were so many street food in Myeong-dong, and they were super awesome! Since it was freezing in Korea, the cooked-right-there food was selling like hot cakes. The ajummas and ahjussis were so busy with customers. They couldn't collect money fast enough lol. I loved how you could just eat it right at the stall while it was still hot. My favorite would be the fish stick - the soup was so tasty. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see the photo below.


If you see this marinated squid, definitely try one. It was just sooooo good - a bit sweet and savory. Just talking about it makes my mouth waters.


I don't know about you, but that incomplete-looking tree decoration seriously bothers me lol.


You can find any Korean cosmetics brand there. Some brands even have multiple stores in Myeong-dong. I think I saw a couple of Innisfree, Etude House, Nature Republic, etc. Mid-end brands like Laneige and Mamonde usually have only one store, but you can find them in Aritaum (Korean Sephora which have many stores).


Laneige was doing a huge advertising on the newly released Clear-C Advanced Effector, which I couldn't help but getting it. The store was so pretty with all the moving graphic thing on the building.


The smurfs on Espoir store was really cute. Espoir is not a very well-known brand outside of Korea, compared to others. But, their products are pretty popular among locals, especially their lipsticks.


This is another must-try food in Myeong-dong. I didn't really see it anywhere else expect there so I'm not sure if it's exclusive to the area. It's a mochi with strawberry and red bean filling. The strawberry was huge and out-of-this-world sweet! And, look at that packaging - isn't it so cute? It certainly wasn't cheap but one piece was pretty big.


If you love tea, especially green tea, you have to go to O'Sulloc Tea House. They have one of the best green tea rolls ever. It was so soft and fluffy, and the filling was not bland. Make sure to also try their Tangerine-Green Tea ade (not sure what's the name) and other bestselling menus. It was an amazing place to take a rest from a shopping spree in Myeong-dong :)

Have you been to Myeong-dong before? Do you want to go there? Tell me what you think :)


22 comments :

  1. wow awesome pictures! I'm not sure how long it would take me to just walk around that steet! (so many cosmetics!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I travel I like to be with the locals rather than the tourists. You get the real feeling of the place and things are cheaper. Hahahah
    However, I'd love to visit that green tea place. I recently started drinking green tea and I love it. :9
    Can't wait to see your other 5 posts!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the pictures are great!! :) Thank you for the tip about the O'Sulloc Tea house! Actually, I'm a green tea lover and this is heaven for me! ^-^ I look forward to your next posts about Seoul!! I'm so excited!!
    Much love, Jenny
    http://itsmeeejennyy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, the city is so pretty! I love all the lights, and everything looks so clean and cute!


    http://www.astrophoria.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh! Gorgeous! I totally would love to visit Korea/Japan again in the future and properly visit popular places and take my time! I love how the street store signs are like that on the side because that's not found in singapore and we don't have many streets that are closed just for the pedestrians to walk and shop at! (but we have enough shopping already) I'm totally craving the street food! Oh I would eat nothing but it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.... It seemed like a really nice place to visit. Especially for a Korean cosmetics lover like me aha.


    Connie from theconbonz

    ReplyDelete
  7. myeong dong is really like a road war to beauty!! haha love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely sold on Korean products! I love them so much that I even bought a Korean car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went there a couple of times during my visit cause it was pretty close to my hotel lol. Just so many things to see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer places with locals too :) But I couldn't not go to Myeong-dong lol. So many cosmetics and street food there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same here >.< Can't wait to visit Korea again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't have many walking streets here in Bangkok as well :( The street food was awesome! Especially when you eat it right away at the stall while it's still hot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea hahaha. Just wanted to buy everything :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol Korean products (like cosmetics) are much more affordable and the quality of most is on par with Western products, in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i always want to go back there again and again! the crowd and everything there just attract me so much *.*

    ReplyDelete
  16. omgg the food looks so good especially the green tea drinks ^_^ I really hope to visit myeongdong someday! The city looks beautiful <3


    http://clothespinshanging.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, I want to go to Myeong-dong.. The gorgeous K-Cosmetics Heaven ^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. hopefully I can get the strawberry mochi too :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gotta try it! I don't know why but Korean strawberry is so sweet XD

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been in Myeong Dong! It was my favourite place in Seoul and I am craving to be there when I need new Korean cosmetics ^.^ It was a real shopping heaven and I remember spending a lot ! when I became concious was the heaviness of the cosmetics started to hurt my hands :D

    meishenmeweishenme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 by Pastel Boulevard. All rights reserved.

Template design by Carrielovesdesign